- It’s Vacation Time!
It’s Vacation Time!
December 10 2012
It’s vacation time! Many people are traveling to visit family and friends, and while you are away the criminals may play. Make it difficult for them to use your house as their playground by following these tips:
Secure Your Residence
- Have good locks on all doors and windows and use them.
- Make sure your residence looks lived-in, not empty.
- Leave shades and blinds in a normal position.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to watch your residence while you are away. Leave your vacation address and telephone number with a neighbor so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Test your smoke and burglar alarms.
- Stop all deliveries; arrange for a neighbor to pick up your mail, newspaper and packages.
- Arrange for someone to mow your lawn, rake leaves and maintain the yard to give the home a lived-in look.
- Have a neighbor place garbage cans at the curb on your normal pickup day(s) and return them after the garbage pickup is made.
- Plug in timers to turn lights and a radio or television on and off at appropriate times.
- Turn the bell or ringer on your telephone down low. If a burglar is around, he won’t be alerted to your absence by a ringing telephone.
- Don’t announce your absence on answering machine messages; leave your normal message on the machine.
- Close and lock garage doors and windows. Ask a neighbor to occasionally park in your driveway.
- If you leave your car at home, park it as you normally would. Vehicles parked outside should be moved occasionally to appear that they are being used.
- Consider taking valuables to a bank safety deposit box.
- Don’t announce your vacation plans on social networking sites.
- Ask the Winter Garden Police Department to place your home on their vacation check list. It is a free service for the residents of Winter Garden. You can contact them at 407.656.3636.
Have a wonderful and safe vacation!